Monday, February 1, 2016

MEXICO VACATION - DAY 3

This morning, we loaded into a van with our driver Gustavo and tour guide Jose. Our first stop was at the humble home of a shaman (he calls himself a JMan) near Chichen Itza.
 He took sat us down individually to purify us and then he bonded us a family. It was...interesting.
My favorite part of this stop was this abuela shucking corn.
We continued our journey to our next destination: Chichen Itza. The Mayans used a tons of symbolism in all of the buildings in this complex. Our guide was giving us an in-depth explanation of it all. Then some in our group needed him to speed things along so he shortened it and we started taking photos.
Climbing the ruins was closed in 2007 to the public so we weren't allowed to go to the top. I was a little bummed at how commercial/touristy the area is, but it was cool to see.
 About fifteen minutes down the road, we stopped for lunch at a small Mexican restaurant. My group was afraid eating local food would upset their stomachs...so that meant more tacos and horchata for me! 
(PS my stomach was fine.)
While we were eating lunch, a cute little parade passed. I love being immersed in a culture.
The final spot on our itinerary for the day was Ek' Balam.
 It is another Mayan village in the Yucatan with ruins that we were able to climb and enjoy.
*Here we are rocking those homemade shorts I showed you from day 1.*

 The site is known for a plaster on the tomb (on the side of a palace) of a king who was buried inside.
My favorite part was climbing to the top to enjoy the view. 
The clouds were so fluffy today I thought I was gonna die.

0 comments: