Friday, May 23, 2014

The ENGLISH SOMBRERO

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
I have decided smart people read books. I want to be smart. So I set a goal to read more books. 

I had The English Sombrero by Doug Goddard and Anthony Randall suggested to me with this brief synopsis:


It’s 1999, twenty-six stone alcoholic, chain smoking, fast food junkie, millionaire businessman Don Simmons has a drunken £250,000 bet that he can complete a half marathon in under an hour and a half.
Once sober and realizing the seriousness of his wager, he decides to take a year out, move to Spain, shed half his body weight, and commence a grueling training regime in order to preserve his esteem, win the money and save his life.
This humorous novel set for the most part against the back drop of beautiful Catalonia, is book 1 in a series of 4 following the outrageous exploits of a modern day avenger, a righter of wrongs, champion of adversity, and lover of malt whiskey. 


A book full of humor, travel, and crazy adventures....sign me up! We've had a few weekends full of rain, so I snuggled up with a blanket, my dog, and this book. I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down. That's great for me! This book has 435 pages, and it is super easy to read, but entertaining at the same time (with some cheeky British words/saying in the mix that will just make you smile). What is an ‘English Sombrero’ you ask? Well, that is for you to read and find out.

Two of my favorite lines from this story are:

“A day is not lost if a good memory is made.”

“To some people life is pre-ordained; all mapped out for you to stumble through till you reach a ghastly end. I had always thought the opposite: that you carved your own destiny, made your own luck.”

If you are looking for a good read and want something a little out of the ordinary to add to your library, think about giving The English Sombrero a chance.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

0 comments: