Sunday, October 19, 2014

AM I PRAYING WRONG?

After having a brother die, a BFF break up with me, "family" members say mean things, and my dog stop listening and run away things can only go up and get better, right?! Well, actually that's not true. You could also have your car stolen, your freezer break and ruin some food, your dog have an allergic reaction to her shots from the vet, your mother have a heart attack after a surgery, and a call from the fraud department saying someone tried to steal money from an online account of yours (...all in less than 2 months time).  Yes, things can and just might get worse, but it's OK!

After all this, I went to church--that's a good place to go for peace for me. At the service, there were several people bearing testimony of the power of prayer. One person shared stories of bad weather and them praying for no rain for a party they were hosting that was outside. Another person shared a story of them wanting a shift off from work on a Sunday so they could attend church and BAM they were there at church. This got me thinking...I had been praying, begging, pleading for many things recently, some maybe on a scale a little bit deeper than weather (we all have our trials), and I just seemed to have more bad things piling up. I thought 'Am I praying wrong?!'

I know that our disappointments, sorrows, and dark hours are to help us grow. They can lead us to much joy if we put our faith and trust in God. Garth Brooks sings that some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. It is a mistake to assume that every prayer we offer will be answered immediately. Some prayers require big effort on our part. This might be a way that God is showing me He loves me...it is just in a way that I don't really understand right now. 

Then we sang the hymn Come Unto Jesus and my heart was calmed a little.
To anyone feeling discouraged, worried, or lonely, I want to tell you to hold on with faith and hope. I too have felt those ways recently, but it WILL get better. Life WILL hand you lemons, but YOU have the power to take positive action, sweeten the situation, and make lemonade (+). Don't feel discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. As long as you are trying your hardest, you aren't doing it wrong.
I will end with my favorite scripture: Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths (Proverbs 3:5-6).

2 comments:

Todd Klassy said...

Miss you. Hope things turn around. I'm confident they will. You reap what you sew, and if true, you're do for a bountiful harvest soon. Hope our paths cross soon.

Rebekah said...

My favorite scripture. Loved your post!!!