Thursday, January 26, 2012

SAFE WINTER DRIVING

As I was driving up Provo Canyon to the Sundance Film Festival last Saturday, Old Man Winter was working in full force. The snow was falling, visibility was diminishing, and the roads were quickly icing over. Never fear...I made it up safely (maybe with the help of a few prayers and in time to hang with the hottest celebs), but I saw numerous cars around me both north and south bound sliding off the road.

On the trip back home through Parley's canyon, winter storm warnings were in effect and drivers were advised to use caution if traveling. We made it down at a mighty speed of 25mph, while big trucks and so-called 4 wheel drive vehicles blew past us. I later saw many of those cars covered in snow banks and I even saw a Jeep on its side off the highway. I'm not gonna lie, I pictured myself sleeping in an ice cave a few times and was worried I didn't have a winter car safety kit in the trunk. But then I snapped out of it.

If you haven't seen this video of cars sliding and crashing on just one street in Bountiful, UT, that same day, you should check it out:


So now that the winter weather is finally here (the snow gods have heard your pleadings snowboarders/skiers), it's time to talk about safe driving tips. Because the way you drive not only affects your trip, but the trips of those around you.

On the Esurance Blog, I found some good driving tips that I thought I should share. It addresses the topics of ice/snow/hail, rain, floods, avoiding deer, and safe driving to get you to your destination (hopefully) without any problems.

On the post there is a list of items you should keep in your car in the winter. They call it a winter car kit and it includes:
1. A small bag of sand or cat litter to use under your tires for traction
2. A shovel to clear snow from around your tires
3. Tire chains or cables
4. A large flashlight and batteries
5. A blanket or sleeping bag (several if there are more than one or two people in the car)
6. Waterproof matches and votive candles with stable bases
7. Non-perishable food items (like high-energy protein bars, trail mixes with nuts, and raisins)
8. A coffee can, which can be used to melt snow for water if help is a really long time away


In addition to those items, you should carry the following items in your car year-round:
1. A first aid kit
2. A properly inflated spare tire
3. Jumper cables, signal flares, and other car emergency items


Don't worry, if you don't have those things in your car like me, you can buy pre-packaged roadside emergency kits with most of those items at the store.


Stormy weather happens EVERY year in Utah, so check out the post and let's be ready for it by driving safely.



I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Esurance blogging program for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

0 comments: